If you travel as much as I do, you probably spend many hours every year in airports. Some of that time is needed for ticketing, check-in, getting through security, and finding the correct gate. But often, you are still left with a long, boring waiting time.
Perhaps you read, browse the many shops, try to do some work on your laptop, watch a video, or visit a lounge. I find it difficult to concentrate and am constantly looking for distractions to help me pass the time. And while some airports are better than others, they are still places that most of us endure rather than enjoy.
The solution? Spontaneous usability testing! While people-watching on a recent trip, I started to pay attention to how people interact with airport signage. Have you ever noticed that airports offer an excellent microcosm for studying usability? You may think that airport signage is not applicable to TC practice, but it is actually closely related. Consider:
- In TC, we talk about signposting, which is about graphic and text elements that allow users to find and identify information (for example, table of contents, index, cross-references, links, headings, icons, ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.