In my technical communication courses, I always set up a forum in the online classroom in which students can introduce themselves. It is both charming and terrifying when I realize how young some of the participants are. I look at these fresh-faced young men and women at the very beginning of their career and I think, "I have shoes older than them."
Yes, it’s true. I’ve been in the field 35 years and the time has flown by – in part because I like this profession very much and I have enjoyed a certain degree of success. And yet, I sometimes wish that I could go back in time and have a forceful heart-to-heart with my younger self. There are so many things that I had to learn the hard way, and so many mistakes I could have avoided.
But since time travel is not possible, I can only share my insights (gleaned from painful inexperience and cheerful ignorance) with all of those just starting their career:
- Take better notes. Seriously. Write it down. Listen to the clients. Rather than sitting there and formulating another question, actually listen to what they say. Taking notes forces you to listen and process information, while talking less. You learn more about the project requirements and reduce the risk of forgetting details (not to ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.