In technical communication, short and simple is always better. There is a wealth of data confirming the value of clear, direct writing. The famous Jakob Nielsen study from Sun Microsystems showed the advantage of cutting text; after he removed 40 percent of the original text on the website’s knowledge base, Nielsen discovered that users thought that the new version had more information.
What exactly is "fluff"?
When editors talk about fluff, they are referring to many different writing problems that are not actual mistakes in syntax or grammar. Rather, these are the bad habits that cause our writing to be bloated and hard to understand.
There are two major problems with fluff:
- For users, fluff makes the content harder to read and understand. It makes it harder to find and identify information. It increases the risk of user error.
- For companies, fluff increases localization costs (a direct expense) and increases customer support costs (an indirect expense).
The many faces of fluff
There are many types of fluff:
- Formal and complex vocabulary: Long, complex words make a text harder to understand. Why write "proficiencies" when you can write "skills"?
Solution: pick the simplest words.
- Long, passive voice sentences: Passive voice makes it harder to decode ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.