Is the recent frenzy around cognitive technologies – deep learning, agentive technology, bots, and AI – something technical communicators need to be concerned about? Do these technologies herald a new renaissance for content? Or is our field doomed to obsolescence when the bots take over?
To sum up my opinion about this brave new world:
Same problems, different day… huge opportunity.
What do I mean? Let’s start with "same problems".
At its roots, not much has changed about business or our industry since the bots began taking over (the past 5-10 years). Our goals are the same:
- Our clients (as in the consumers of our content) want to achieve success.
- Businesses want to acquire and retain customers, make money, and grow.
- As technical communicators we want to
- support our clients in successfully achieving their goals
- contribute to the success of our businesses to achieve their goals
In other words, everyone wants an experience in which the right content is designed and delivered to the right people at the right time.
These core tenets of our industry and business have not changed over the 35 years that I’ve been in this industry. The business ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.