Built on the high-tech industry, the World Economy 2.0 is all about our connected world, where virtual offices, remote teams, multi-time zone schedules, and telecons during Uber rides including hard-to-understand accents are the new normal. With it come new, subtle, and unavoidable occupational hazards of a global, offshored workforce.
It’s anyone’s guess whether the ongoing political rambling, tariffs, sanctions, protectionism, and the US$ 250 trillion world debt will ever be able to reverse or halt the globalization wave that has washed over almost the entire planet. Businesses can’t stay competitive unless they tap the global talent and effectively utilize cost arbitrage. The following quote by Lee Kuan Yew attests this claim:
"If you deprive yourself of outsourcing and your competitors do not, you're putting yourself out of business."
Now, let’s put the spotlight on technical writers. Depending on which part of the offshoring equation they belong to, they can also be subjected to the occupational hazards of a global economy.
It’s hard to be a technical writer:
- You are often dependent on Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for information.
- Not all product team members appreciate your contribution.
- Your check-ins ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.