Usability is determined by how quickly our users can identify a certain function of our product and use it – a process strongly linked to our users’ experiences and expectations. Here is how understanding cognitive processing can lead to better, more usable designs.
Nothing is inherently usable. Rather, usability reflects how our minds process sensory input to identify and categorize objects. If we understand such processes, we can create materials that match them and develop more usable designs. Doing so involves learning how the brain organizes information and designing materials that address these processes.
Cognition and data processing
Cognition describes how the mind identifies, organizes, and responds to information. While our brains operate with amazing speed, there are limits on how much information we can process at once. This is often referred to as cognitive load, which is connected to short-term memory.
When we encounter something, our brains must
- Identify what that item is (e.g., a pen)
- Classify what it does (e.g., allows us to write words on a page)
- Determine what to do with it in a particular context (e.g., take notes for ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.