Approximately 325 million wearable devices are connected to the Internet, with more added every day. While the iPhone and Android platforms were designed as multilingual from the start, that isn't always the case for wearables. This gives localization teams the opportunity to offer their multilingual expertise early in the design and development phases for these products.
Image: © Shao-Chun Wang/123rf.com
Wearables are articles of clothing, footwear, or accessories that incorporate sensors to enable the items to monitor and respond to the environment or the wearer. They also send and receive data from other devices such as smartphones. The wearables sector is still in its infancy – not even futurists or designers of the current generation of wearable technology can predict what product or use case may eventually allow this sector to become as ubiquitous as smartphones – or if this will ever happen. Even so, localization teams should anticipate the day when product managers start requesting support for wearables apps and devices. They will have to deal with new formats and use cases:
- Form factors. Examples of products that fit on the wrist, or that can be clipped on, include fitness trackers from companies such as Fitbit, Garmin, Jawbone, Misfit, and Withings, and smartwatches such as ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.
Back: Translation and Localization