Often when we start a new job, or are dropped into an existing software documentation project at our current job, getting up to speed is overwhelming. This article suggests steps to quickly assess the situation, develop a plan, and begin writing.
Learn the landscape
First, you need to find out the background of the project – its state, the team, and the documentation standards used.
Most software projects will fall into one of these seven categories:
- A new product that is still in development, with no user documentation
- A new product that is complete (or nearing completion), with no user documentation
- An existing product with little documentation
- An existing product with documentation
- An existing product that is in transition to new user interface or other major change
- An existing product in maintenance mode/New version in process
Product is in maintenance mode
You need to find out what category your project fits into, and also what specifications or requirements exist (if any). Verify with subject matter experts (SMEs) that those documents are up-to-date.
If any end user documentation exists, you ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.